Tuesday, July 27, 2004

24/07 & 25/07 : Pune-Mumbai-Pune 

A few seconds after setting foot in Mumbai, I am assaulted, not in the physical sense of the term, but by the sheer magnitude of people scuttling about.  Soon thereafter, I am shaken out of my perpetual daydreaming mode, as I notice something red hurtling down towards me (you can imagine the crowds on the road, of varying shapes and sizes, numbers enough to mask the approaching bus) , a frantic jump onto the pavement, simultaneously with four other pedestrians, unperturbed, unlike me. I mime the people and walk rapidly towards one of the rickshaws, all the while looking extremely busy. When in tyanchi Mumbai, do as the Mumbaikars do. Now as things go,  I don't have the address of my residence in this city written on some neatly folded chit of paper or even in an obscure corner of a diary.  These seemingly inconsequential lapses whilst setting off on a journey are the very instances that cause my grandmother great pain, further compounding her belief that the "being careful, being systematic" genes have not been passed on in the right measures. The telephone number was mugged up along with the address the previous day, the third and second last lines of which I dig out from the deep recesses of the brain (the name of the housing society and locality) ; no exaggeration here, but additionally I am not too sure if its Thane(E) or Thane (W),  having chosen to alight at the latter station. All is well that ends well. Findings of the day: My memory ain't too bad.

Now, the fact that Mumbaikars are a different lot, is not exactly news. Traveling for an hour or two one-way daily is not earth-shattering for them. Sadly for some, family life is affected thus, since there is no "quality time" left to spend together. I heard comments on how faces light up on Saturdays, since the next day is a long awaited holiday. Everything and everybody is in constant motion. Mumbai is definitely not meant for somebody as laidback as me, for we are bound to drown in the resultant whirpool, but most hard-core Mumbaikars would swear by their city. You survive here, you survive anywhere in the world, and hats off to the lot who go through the grind!

Mumbai, to me, is a learning experience too, for every trip down there, I come across something new, most prominently the human ability of adjusting to circumstances, I marvel at how people can go through the most trying of times, stay in the tiniest of dwellings and still stay put.  True, Mumbai has a life of its own, swarming people at its core, like a heart throbbing frantically. It's as though, "Down, but not out", is what the city seems to say after each occasional blow (of the communal, terrorist activity kinds) that threatens to snuff it out.

-On a different note, the Pune-Mumbai expressway is best at this time of the year, miniature waterfalls on the massive yet magnificently cut rocks, the cool wind on the face, lush greenery, pretty flowers looking so radiant on the road dividers. Now, is also the right time to head off to Lonavla and its environs.

-It was another farewell that took me to Mumbai, but this time, the pensive mood was nullified by a hello, a maiden tête-á-tête  with
Shobha , a bubbly and energetic journo student, her passion for her field of study is remarkable. A Barkha Dutt in the making, Shobha ? :D.  

Whew, that was a long post!

Current Music - Kate Nahin Raat - Ustad Sultan Khan
Zoom at 70 along the x-press-way, let the chill seep into you, and tune into this indian classical.  I will be surprised if you don't enjoy the drive.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home