Friday, July 02, 2004

To Life, to everything and everyone that has made me, to the greatest teacher of all

Gurur Brahma
Gurur Vishnuh
Guru devo Maheswarah
Gurur sakshat Param Brahma
Tasmai Sri Gurave namah


Every year at school, we had an essay writing competition on this day of Guru Poornima. The topic was the same each time, "Guru Poornima", and the essays had more or less the same content too, year after year. I liked best, the part, where all the kids stood up and chanted the shloka above with full gusto. I did not understand it then, and today I interpret religion in perhaps a slightly different manner, but as a kid I loved the community feeling that arose thereof.

If I were to write the essay today, it wouldn't be only about the Almighty, my parents or my teachers, it would also be about so many other people, their ideas, books I have read, movies that have influenced, so many other experiences that have been unintentionally imparting knowledge all along.

Yes, the ants on the wall, they teach a lesson too. Of determination, of side-setting obstacles, of keeping it going, come what may...

(Wow, and do I preach, this halo round my head is getting to be very uncomfortable though, I would gladly replace it with the devil's horns to feel at ease ;)

Current Music - Krishna - Colonial Cousins
(Seems the first few lines of the lyrics are from a famous Kannada song. Hariharan is excellent in this one)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home