Friday, November 26, 2004

"Sweets & Namkeen/ Chocolates at my desk"

I have no idea how it is in other professional set-ups, but my colleagues have this concept of "team building, group participation and strengthening communication skills" by sending out such invites to not less than twenty people at any particular instance, in order to mark celebrations. The reasons for the same may vary, the customary ones being

- I/bro/sis got/getting married/engaged/met-a-girl-might-get-married-here-is-her-snap-how-do-you-find-it
-Sis/Bro/Son/Daughter, good marks, HSC, SSC, Graduation
-Sweets from home or vacation spots, which could be anywhere from Jammu (loooaddded with dry fruits) to Kanyakumari, Calcutta to Rajkot
-New house, bike, car
-Chocolates from trips abroad

Now, not being the sweet kind myself..err..the "sweets" kind (save for rasagollas, G. Pulla Reddy's mysore pak and pedhas from Dharwaad), or not even the chocolates kind, I always reach out for the Namkeen, the fare brought by an Indore-ian colleague, being the most favourite. The venue or "the desk" generally makes for updating oneself with the latest on the addresser's front, with an extra ten minutes thrown in for admiring the snaps, if any. (The venue may also make for a racket, with sense creeping in only on being gently chided)

All in all, apart from ensuring cameraderie and bulging waistlines, such occasions also attest to the average Indian's first love, food, food and more food, especially stuff with dollops of sugar and ghee thrown in for good measure.

(Inspired by a cubicle-mate who got chocolates today to celebrate Arjun Rampal's birthday. I am serious!)

Current Music - Abraham's Theme - The Chariots of Fire
I haven't seen this movie yet, unfortunately so, for the reviews tell me I am missing something. Lovely tunes by Vangelis, but this particular theme mesmerised me the most. A violin and the piano, I presume. It gives a feeling of sitting on a window ledge, with a broken pearl necklace in your hand, watching the pearls fall on the floor, almost hesitatingly; while you watch them roll, away from you, never to return)


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home