Monday, October 18, 2004

Im Deutschland - Part II

You are in queue, please wait....
Exactly like those conveyor setups in factories, and considering the fact that I am in the nut-screw-bolt-iron-steel haven, it shouldn't come as a surprise that my food organs have begun to work likewise. When the first morsel is in my oesophagus, the second one is just dropping down the food pipe, the third is being figured out by the molars and the fourth ready on the fork, so on and so forth, a gap of two seconds or more (time permitting) between the consecutive ones.

Lunchtime is a real test for me, a competition. I speak not a word till the fork and knife are laid neatly on the plate, the focus is entirely on keeping pace with my colleagues. The Germans are super fast, be it while eating, or walking, as for the roads, 120-160kmph is as normal as the sun rising over the east. M. Schumacher isn't a wunderkind, he is just perfect Deutsch.

Etc et und so weiter...

If you ask me how I am, I would reply never been better, and not because this is a politically correct thing to say. I am indeed having a pleasant stay here. The protagonist would like to use this opportunity to express her sincere thanks to the supporting cast a.k.a friendly and helpful colleagues and hotel staff, without whom life here could have been a tightrope walk.

The weather? Fall has set in, and autumn wedded to a small village-town makes for a setting worth penning poetry for. The skies are clear, it is cold, but not unbearably so. I ride a 10-gear bike to work, in the quiet mornings and evenings, through picture perfect streets with not-very-little brown houses, squelching the moist red leaves on the cycle track as I go. Its difficult to believe I was leading a lifestyle, drastically different, back home not so very long ago, for I have gradually tuned myself to the one right now, and most activities seem just routine, as normal as the sun setting over the west (and Schumi winning the F1).

My lodgings are comfortable, the hotel taking on the appearance of an inn, but it actually is a large house built in 1919, quaint and very homely, wood panelling, cutlery of the last century adorning the walls, along with some interesting photographs from WWII. Its like those places where you would want to sit by the fireplace, on a rocking chair, petting your dog, reading your favourite classic, or knitting or...

(You may say I am a dreamer...:)

More on my current bearings coming up soon..

Current Music (was at the hotel at the time of writing): Don't Expect Me To Be Your Friend - Lobo
(Good guitar riffs and equally good lyrics. Recommended as bedtime music, with the lights and the thoughts turned off)


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home