Thursday, March 24, 2005

I hear footsteps approaching, I do not leave the counter though, to open the door or greet (like I would have, most enthusiastically, a few months ago). The visitor is more often than not, an acquaintance now, for its been over two years since setting up shop. He looks around, and subtly, very politely points out that the display window has been sporting the same wares for a fortnight now, a remark that never fails to bring up memories of times long gone, anecdotes of goods that had to be piled up in the storerooms 'cause the (now-bereft) shelves could not bear the load.

What happened? I have no answer to this, very frankly. Is the novelty wearing off....is life with its myriad other complications proving too taxing?

"You could try the store next door or the one across the street", I suggest, matter-of-fact, "swanky interiors, branded stuff, smart salespeople to attend to you ..I..I. have very less to offer now"

And with a sigh, I shuffle towards the jar of confectionary in the corner and hand out a coin-shaped toffee to him; he, who stands there lost in.......

"A penny for your thoughts, Sir?"

(If blogs could speak, this is what mine would say)

Current Music: Huzur Is Kadar - Masoom

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home